Prefer To Listen!
In my previous post “What Are The Advantages Of Working From Home?” I mentioned Self-Discipline as an essential element to reap the benefits of working from home.
Don’t we require Self-Discipline, regardless of whether we work at home or outside?
Yes, but we need to have a LOT of it and that too every day.
Here are three major reasons
1) In case you are self employed and working from home, you are not bound by a certain number of hours set by your employer. In case you are telecommuting, then you need to mentally and emotionally bring yourself in the Office environment during the hours set by your employer.
2) If you do not have a designated Office space in your home, things around you, such as a cozy sofa, Entertainment set, Kitchen table can distract you from being productive.
3) There is a high probability that your friends and relatives could take your time for granted.
Here is how I work around these issues and try my best to maintain Self-Discipline
1) When I transitioned from an employee to self employment, I made a commitment to first work on myself. What do I mean by that?
I figured out the best times I am productive, which in my case are in the morning between 7AM and 11.30AM and in the evening between 4.30PM and 7 PM. During these periods, I was able to accomplish more in less time. You need to give importance to this aspect and find the times of the day when you are most productive.
2) Even if it is a small apartment, designate a certain space exclusively for working and just have only those things that help you stay centered, calm and focused.
I have a separate Office room with least amount of things around. I have a plant, filing cabinet in addition to my computer. By keeping my physical space clean, I am able to give focused attention and complete the task faster.
3) Make sure that your friends and relatives know that your time is precious. Don’t be afraid to let them know the times when you are available to give them undivided attention.
In my personal experience I have found my friends and relatives like my honesty. We respect each others time and are able to truly become valuable to each other. By not engaging in unnecessary conversations, I am able to give focused energy and complete the tasks easily.
Now I welcome you to share your thoughts on working from home and Self-Discipline.
Want to get more tips? Sign up for my Ezine here
Want to get 1 on 1 Coaching? Learn more here..